Bad breath. This video is on how to get rid of bad breath, bad breath causes, bad breath treatment and cure.
I’ve received a lot of messages to make a video on what cause bad breath and how to get rid of bad breath. Some of the messages have been a little upsetting to read. So please remember don’t let it get to you, most of the time you can treat it and always remember you’re awesome! I really hope you enjoy and find my video helpful.
WHAT IS BAD BREATH:
Halitosis is the medical name for bad breath. It describes an unpleasant smell in the breath which is detectable by other people. Most of us worry about having bad breath at some point. While it’s not dangerous, it is can be embarrassing, especially as as we get used to our own odours and often don’t know we have it.
WHAT CAUSES BAD BREATH:
Causes of bad breath may include:
• Eating or drinking strong-smelling or spicy foods and drinks
• Problems with your teeth or gums, such as gum disease, holes in your teeth or an infection
• Some medical conditions, like tonsillitis or acid reflux
WHAT HELPS REDUCE BAD BAD BREATH:
The best way of making sure you do not have bad breath is to keep your teeth, tongue and mouth clean.
• Gently brush your teeth and gums at least twice a day for 2 minutes
use a fluoride toothpaste
• Gently clean your tongue once a day using a tongue scraper or cleaner
• Clean between your teeth with interdental brushes or floss at least once a day
• Get regular dental check-ups
• Keep dentures clean and remove them at night
• Use sugar-free mints or chewing gum after having strong-smelling food and drinks
• Try using an antibacterial mouthwash or toothpaste
• Do not smoke
• Do not rinse your mouth with water straight after brushing your teeth
• Do not have lots of sugary foods and drinks
do not brush so hard your gums or tongue bleed
HOW TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH PROPERLY:
Not long ago I made a video with a good friend of mine and dentist Dr Ehsan all about how to brush and floss your teeth properly like dentist. The video is very helpful and even I realised I was doing a few things wrong! I’d definitely recommend everyone to watch it and become a dental hygiene pro!
MOUTHWASH AND TOOTHPASTE INGREDIENTS:
Antibacterial agents that are included in mouthwashes and toothpastes include cetylpyridinium chloride, chlorhexidine, hexetidine, hydrogen peroxide, triclosan and zinc.
Please note Chlorhexidine mouthwash causes brown staining on the surface of teeth if used for 4 weeks or longer. This is a type of staining that comes off after scaling and polishing by a dental professional. For more information on this mouthwash please read the information leaflet and speak to your pharmacist.
Given the wide variation in products, the choice of preparation will depend on individual preference and product tolerability. However: Of toothpastes, the majority of studies providing evidence for an effect on halitosis have involved those containing triclosan.
HOW TO QUIT SMOKING:
Stopping smoking can make a big difference to your health and lifestyle. It is never too late to stop smoking to greatly benefit your health!
For more information:
WHEN TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION:
If you have done everything you can in terms of the oral hygiene measures and still have bad breath then see a doctor or dentist. You should also see a doctor if you have bad breath associated with other symptoms, such as acid reflux or sinus pain.
Please speak to your dentist if you have:
• Painful, bleeding or swollen gums
• Toothache or wobbly adult teeth
• Problems with your dentures
For more information on when to seek medical attention:
Want to see more videos about everything health and pharmacy? Let me know in the comments below. Subscribe for new videos ▶
Prescribing Media Pharmacist | Extreme Optimist | Bringing Science Through New Videos Every Week – Monday 4PM(GMT).
I’m a prescribing media pharmacist who loves science, making videos and helping people. I work in both GP surgeries and community pharmacy.